Most people don’t think too much about their driveway or sidewalks in front of their home or business. You may occasionally drive or walk on them and notice cracks. While this may not seem like a big issue to you, driveway or sidewalk cracks can be a major tripping hazard that can cause injury. Ensuring that your driveway or sidewalk is safe is important to avoid trip and fall accident liability.
Causes of Driveway/Sidewalk Cracks
While concrete is one of the most long lasting economical building materials, it doesn’t last forever. There are several different causes for concrete cracking. Some include:
- Plastic Shrinkage Cracks occurs when water evaporates too quickly on the surface.
- Settlement occurs when the ground under the concrete moves.
- Dry Shrinkage occurs when the slab that is restrained is drying and shrinking.
- Chemicals can affect concrete in two ways. The concrete itself can contain aggregates or cements that aren’t compatible with one another. Second, using salt on concrete for the first few years is not good. Use sand instead.
- Corrosion can occur when concrete that contains steel re-bar or steel wire mesh gets wet and comes in contact with oxygen.
- Overload can be an issue for concrete. Sidewalks and residential driveways are able to withstand the weight of a car or small truck. However, heavier trucks on your your driveway or sidewalk can cause cracks.
The Solution to Preventing Tripping Hazards
Dalinghaus Construction uses Polypier, also known as slab leveling. This product uses polyurethane foam to help fix sinking, moving and cracking concrete. This is a fast and cost effective solution for your concrete problems. So how does it work? The experts at Dalinghaus Constructions will drill a penny sized hole through the concrete. Injection ports are then inserted into the holes. Within seconds, the polyurethane foam expands and hardens raising the concrete slabs. It also acts as a moisture barrier between the soil and concrete. Polypier can repair the following: concrete steps, concrete sidewalks, concrete driveways, concrete parking lots, slab floors, geotechnical soil stabilization, interior concrete floors, pool decks, and more.
Prevent Tripping Hazards
Don’t wait for someone to get hurt from your residential or commercial tripping hazard. Dalinghaus Construction wants to ensure the safety of your family, friends, employees, and customers. Polyjacking provides a long lasting solution to prevent cracks in driveways and sidewalks from occurring again. Contact Dalinghaus Construction to learn more about polypier or other solutions to prevent tripping hazards.